Ramp Soak and stuff

Re: Ramp Soak and stuff

Postby Brett » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:47 am

2-3 weeks is my current plan, barring any unforeseen day-job craziness.

I'm going to need to revise my time estimate on this front. turns out the Profile Code pushed the firmware into insufficient-ram territory. luckily the current code is pretty inefficient, so there's plenty of gains that can be made to make room. the down side is this will mostly come from switching form float to int math, which essentially means a complete firmware re-write. fun
Brett
Site Admin

Postby dchris01 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am

How's things going with the firmware Brett
dchris01

Postby Brett » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 pm

How's things going with the firmware Brett

we should be fine. the menu code is insanely bloated (classes, unnecessary sacrifices in the name of flexibility, floats.) I'm slimming that down first, in the hopes that that is all that is required. if not, then I'll need to create an integer version of the pid library. It's something that I've been meaning to do anyway, but it will take some time.
Brett
Site Admin

Postby ControlFreak » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:55 am

Hi Brett,

what sort of accuracy is lost by moving to integer from floating point with the PID library?

ControlFreak
ControlFreak

Postby Brett » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:36 am

what sort of accuracy is lost by moving to integer from floating point with the PID library?

in theory, an int and a float have the same effective resolution (4bytes,) but how you handle the int determines what resolution loss you get if any. I've made great strides on the firmware front however, so this conversion won't be necessary. the code is now smaller, and uses far less ram even after adding the profile code.

just the front-end support code and some testing, and we'll be ready for release.
Brett
Site Admin

Postby Brett » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:40 pm

The firmware is coming along nicely. I'd say profile functionality should be available within a week. Here's a little teaser: https://twitter.com/#!/rocketscream/sta ... 92/photo/1
Brett
Site Admin

Postby dchris01 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Brett wrote:The firmware is coming along nicely. I'd say profile functionality should be available within a week. Here's a little teaser: https://twitter.com/#!/rocketscream/sta ... 92/photo/1

Good news. Just ordered mine today for using on my homemade IR rework station. Hopefully when it comes all firmware for reflowing will be out.
Last edited by dchris01 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dchris01

Postby Maddox » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:16 am

Profile is looking good...my new osPID & toaster oven is ready to start reflowing as soon as the new firmware is ready!
Maddox

Postby ControlFreak » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 pm

that looks pretty cool Brett, well done!
did you find it harder to tune with profiling?

ControlFreak
ControlFreak

Postby Brett » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:22 am

did you find it harder to tune with profiling?

operating at different temperatures does make it more difficult to tune. often you're left with a situation where you there simply isn't a perfect set of tuning parameters, just based on the nature of the system. everyone's mileage will certainly vary, depending on the equipment they use.
Brett
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Software